Cable shoulder workouts are perfect for building powerful and massive shoulders. Eating healthy and exercising are the two essential elements of life that facilitate fitness and well-being. The Covid-19 pandemic has re-introduced us to the fact that staying fit, active, and healthy should be the motto of one’s life.
Regular exercises help us to achieve a certain body structure, strengthen muscle and improve our productivity too. Similarly, cable shoulder workouts help a person in building and strengthening their shoulders.
Today we are going to discuss one such versatile workout accessory ‘Cables’. Fitness enthusiasts know these effective and helpful cables are in building and strengthening the muscle. We will also be sharing some of the best cable shoulder workouts to aid your muscle development journey.
What Are Cable Shoulder Workouts?
Cable shoulder workouts are a series of exercises that target, shape, and strengthen muscle groups with the help of a Cable machine. Also known as the Crossover machine, the Cable machine is equipment designed to assist individuals in their weight training programs. It is built with an amazing pin-loading system that allows users to choose their own desired weight.
Though shoulders are a small muscle group, it can take forever to train. With vertical orientation and several attachments, cable shoulder exercises can help you target and build different parts of muscles.
In Which Way Are Cable Shoulder Workouts Helpful?
Cables are a great exercise tool that helps to train shoulder muscles faster without the need to spend most of your time in the gym. Some benefits of using cable exercises are:
1. Versatile equipment:
If you have been looking for a tool that helps you to target and train multiple areas of shoulder muscles without having to switch between various tools, shoulder cable exercises will be your muse. It is versatile equipment that can train every shoulder muscle.
2. Easy to use:
Do not hesitate as cable machines are handier to operate. No matter if you’re a beginner or an advanced lifter, cable exercises are suitable for every individual in carrying out their hassle-free workout routine.
3. Various Handles to Vary your grip:
Cable machines come with various handles and attachments which help users to alter and adjust stacks to target various areas of shoulder muscles. Having built with a unique pin-loading system and various attachments, cable shoulder exercises help to vary your grip by targeting consistent tension to a muscle while exercising.
4. Effective in targeting multiple areas of the muscles:
Gone are the days wherein one needs to switch equipment to target different parts of the muscles. With cables, exercising gets a lot more effective and engaging. Having to kneel, lean, lie down, sit, and stand up during cable exercises, one can easily target areas and even angles of certain muscles. One can also carry on their drop sets, supersets, and pyramid sets easily by using them.
Shoulder Muscle Anatomy:
Before we begin with some highly effective cable shoulder workouts, it is quite important to understand your shoulder muscles better. This will ultimately make the exercise journey easier. Primarily known as Deltoids, shoulders are made up of three sets of fibers/heads.
Different exercises are used to emphasize different fibers or heads. Each deltoid has a unique function. Therefore, it becomes essential to select the right exercise for the deltoid which you wish to develop. Three major areas of deltoids that are trained by lifters are:
1. Anterior Deltoids:
These heads are responsible for internal rotation, flexion, and horizontal flexion of the shoulder joint. Anterior is easy to target as they are located on the front of one’s shoulder. Being involved in every chest exercise, anterior deltoids can easily be overdeveloped.
It also acts as a synergist or helper’s muscle and adds thickness to the front of one’s shoulders by doing exercises such as flyes, dips, push-ups, etc. However, you can use the cable shoulder exercises to train it separately.
2. Medial/Lateral Deltoids:
These are located between the front and back, specifically on the sides of your shoulders which are designated to give width to your shoulders. Lifters train it to achieve the gorgeous V-Taper look which makes the waist look narrower. The lateral deltoid raises your upper arm by the abduction of the shoulder joint.
3. Posterior Deltoids:
Located near the trap and rhomboids, specifically on the back of your shoulders, posterior deltoids oppose the anterior deltoids. It is responsible for facilitating the external rotation of the shoulder joint, extension, and horizontal extension.
Posterior deltoids are the least-developed heads which are an extra-attention area for certain lifters out there as it affects the appearance and function of one’s shoulders. The shoulder cable exercises are helpful in posturing and stabilizing muscles.
What Are Some Best Cable Shoulder Workouts?
Though shoulders are made up of three sets of muscle groups, it would take you forever to train them. Cable machines offer effective movements that assist users in building massive and powerful shoulders. This will ultimately make the exercise journey easier, quicker, and more effective. After learning about the different sections of shoulder/deltoids, it’s time to look at some of the best cable shoulder workouts.
1 . Cable Single-Arm Lateral Raises:
Lateral Raises are one of the most popular movements to include in your shoulder exercises. Unlike dumbbells where muscle tension changes continuously during the up and down of free weight, cable shoulder workouts provide a unique stimulus by keeping the tension for the entire repetition.
They help to strengthen and grow muscles by training one side at a time and ensuring that both shoulders get trained equally. To perform the single-arm lateral raise of cable shoulder workouts, follow these steps:
- Firstly, stand at the side of the cable machine. Ensure that the cable is adjusted to the lowest point.
- Now, attach a handle to the cables. Then, hold the handle in one hand in such a way that your arm is on one side and the cable is running behind your legs.
- Start by exhaling and lifting your arm to straighten and align it to the roof.
- Inhale and lower your arm back to the original position.
- Try to keep a slight bend in your elbows to protect your joints. Do not allow far too much movement as it is not targeting the designated shoulder muscles.
2. Cable Bent-Over Rear Delt Flyes:
Bent – Over Rear Delt Flyes workout helps to enhance one’s shoulders overall from all angles and sides. Being an excellent lower back-friendly cable shoulder exercises, it allows a wider range of motion. Hence, keeping the lifter’s shoulder under constant tension throughout the rep. To perform the cable bent over rear delt flyes, follow these steps:
- Start by standing in the middle of the cable machine by placing handles at the bottom and holding it on opposite hands.
- Position your feet at the same width as your shoulders. Ensure that your knees and elbows are slightly bent.
- By exhaling, lift your arms to the side until they align with the floor.
- Inhale and return to the normal position.
3. Cable CrossOver Reverse Flyes:
The cable crossover reverse flyer is a type of shoulder cable exercise that targets all sides of the shoulder muscles. This is also a more comfortable position for lifters as it places less stress on the lower back. To get started with cable crossover reverse flyes, follow the steps given below:
- Start by standing in the middle of the cable machine and holding the handle in such a position that it makes your both hands form an X.
- Make your feet stand apart at the same width as your shoulders. Now, bend down your knees slightly.
- On exhale, extend your arms in front of your shoulders. Make sure that your arms lie parallel to the floor.
- Then, open your arms and extend them back to form a T shape.
- Inhale and return to the normal position. Make sure to keep your elbows slightly bent.
4. Cable Shrug:
If you want your back muscles(trapezius) to look massive, shrugs will serve your purpose. This type of cable shoulder workouts helps to sculpt and achieve a more-rounded upper body. To perform cable shrugs, follow these steps:
- Firstly, attach a bar and set the cable to the lowest point.
- Now, hold the bar with an overhand grip at shoulder-width apart. Make sure that your back stretches a bit as you stand back. Keep your shoulders relaxed.
- Start by exhaling and shrugging your shoulders up as high as possible.
- Then, lower your arm back to the original position.
5. Cable Cuban Press:
It is one of the cable shoulder exercises which works to target all three deltoids a. This comprehensive workout will help you achieve the desired result fastly. To do cable cuban press exercise, do follow these steps:
- Firstly, attach a bar and set the pulley to the lowest point.
- Now, by using an overhand, hold the bar in front of your thighs.
- Then, bend your arms and upright the bar to a point that both are in line with your sternum. Raise the bar to the forehead and start rotating your arms to the side.
- Complete the movement by pressing the bar above your head.
- Return to the starting position and start rep.
The shoulder cable exercises are very helpful in posturing, strengthening, and building your shoulder muscles. Altering weights between sets gets easier than ever with cable machines. It provides a hassle-free way to shift from one attachment to another and even adjust the height of the pulley.
Additionally, you can perform multiple shoulder exercises to target deltoids from every angle possible. Do give it a try and strengthen your shoulder muscles now.